- This event has passed.
2017 Giving Thanks for Debate Tournament
December 2, 2017 @ 8:30 am - December 3, 2017 @ 5:00 pm
- Debate Events: Parliamentary Debate
- Three Divisions:
- Where: Hillview Middle School, Menlo Park
- When: Saturday, 12/2 – Sunday, 12/3/2017
- Sat 12/2: 8:30 – ca. 6 pm
Check In starts at 8:30 am in the PAC Lobby.
All students will compete for 5 Preliminary rounds, followed by Best Speaker awards at ca. 5 pm.
- Sun 12/3: 10 – ca. 5 pm
Roll Call for Debaters and Judges at 10 am in the PAC.
Top 8 teams from each division return for single elimination championship rounds. Each round is followed by awards.
- Sat 12/2: 8:30 – ca. 6 pm
- We will have food & drink for sale (Cash Only): Baked Goods, Fruit, Snacks, Pizza, Sandwiches, Coffee & Assorted Drinks
Registration & Payment Deadline: Wednesday, 11/29/17
Already have an account? Login to Register
First Time? Request to Register
Debaters please read: Debater Information
Debaters Dress Code & What to Bring see: Debaters Preparation
Debaters practice with: Debate Steps & Tips Debate Terms Debate Topics
Judges please read: Judge Information
- Students need PRIOR Speech & Debate experience or understand the format (Parliamentary Debate). (See FAQ)
- Students must register by the deadline.
- No partner needed. We can help find one if option selected in the registration form.
- All fees must be paid by Check-In.
- Volunteer Requirement: Each Debater needs to have 1 adult that will volunteer to fill and complete 1 Spot/Task on Sign-up.com for this tournament. This requirement is in addition to the judging requirement.
- Why? Our tournaments are parent-run and can only be successful with the help of volunteers.
- Judging Requirement: Each Debater needs to have 1 adult, who will be available to judge all rounds.
- Guardian Requirement: Each Debater needs to have 1 adult present, who will be responsible for them while at the tournament. The Guardian does not have to be a parent and except for “Hired Judges”, the Judge and Guardian can be the same person.
- Debaters, Judges and Guardians (if not Judge) need to be present for the entire Debate Tournament. No late starts or leaving early, even for lunch!
- Check or Google Wallet Payments made by Wednesday, 11/29: Apply a $5 discount (per student)
- Late Payment Fee: $25 after payment deadline
- Really Late Payment Fee: $35 if paid at Check-In
- Administrative Fee: $10 for any payment follow-ups/corrections
|Participation||Hired Judge||Registered/Requested by|
|Last Minute Rate||N/A||$300||12/1/17|
- Why? An option for those that can’t fill the judging requirement.
- We have a limited number of Hired Judges.
- There is NO Guarantee that we will have extra judges to cover your judging requirement.
- Only the first 20 requests are guaranteed.
- Prerequisite: Please indicate your request on the registration form by Wednesday, 11/29/17
- Hired Judges can NOT be Guardians!
- Judges can NOT be hired on the day of the tournament!
- Cancel Hired Judge Request for a Full Refund by: Sunday, 11/26/17
- Hired Judge cost NOT refundable after Sunday, 11/26/17
Participation & Dropping Out
- Participation cost NOT refundable after Sunday, 11/26/17
- Drop with a Full Refund by: Sunday, 11/26/17 at 11:59 pm
- Refunds will be processed within 14 days after the tournament.
- In case your child can’t participate after all, please inform the Tournament Director: Brier Buchalter and if applicable your child’s debate partner’s parents. It affects tournament planning on various levels (partnering debaters, preparing materials, pairing the first round, ordering trophies, etc.) – Thank you!
Tournament Debate Practice (optional & free)
- Opportunity for debaters to review and practice before the tournament.
- Prerequisite: Completed Tournament Registration
- When: Friday, 12/1/17 from 6:15 – 7:30 pm
Please see the Scholarships page for instructions on how to apply for a tournament scholarship!
- Tournament Director: Brier Buchalter (Speech & Debate Coach)
- Registration: Norina Biese
- Email: Tournaments@NorCalDebateLeague.org
- Phone: (408) 771-2904