- This event has passed.
2018 NCDL Tournament of Champions
June 2 @ 8:00 am - June 3 @ 5:00 pm
- Debate Events: Parliamentary Debate
- Three Divisions: Novice, JV, Varsity
- Who: 1st – 8th graders (Free participation for Park students)
- Where: Performance Arts Center (PAC), Hillview Middle School, Menlo Park
- When: Saturday, 6/2 & Sunday, 6/3/2018
- Sat 6/2: 8:30 am – 4 pm — All students will compete for 4 Preliminary rounds. Check In: 8:30 – 8:45 am
- Sun 6/3: 9 am – 5 pm — All students return to compete for an additional 2 Preliminary rounds followed by Speaker Awards. Then top teams from each division continue to compete in single elimination championship rounds, which are each followed by awards. Check In: 9 – 9:15 am
- We will provide (some free, some not): Baked Goods, Fruit, Snacks, Pizza, Onigiri, Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Coffee, Tea & Assorted Drinks
Debaters please read: Debater Information
Debaters Dress Code & What to Bring see: Debaters Preparation
Debaters practice with: Debate Steps & Tips Debate Terms Debate Topics
Judges please read: Judge Information
- Students need to have earned the required minimum TOC points.
Check your record here
- Students must register by the deadline.
- No partner needed. We can help find one if option selected in the registration form.
- All fees must be paid by Check-In.
- Volunteer Requirement: Each Debater needs to have 1 adult that will volunteer to fill and complete 1 Spot/Task (or 2 if they count as 1/2 a task) on Sign-up.com for this tournament. This requirement is in addition to the judging requirement.
- Why? Our tournaments are parent-run and can only be successful with the help of volunteers.
- Judging Requirement: Each Debater needs to have 1 adult, who will be available to judge all rounds.
- Guardian Requirement: Each Debater needs to have 1 adult present, who will be responsible for them while at the tournament. The Guardian does not have to be a parent and except for “Hired Judges”, the Judge and Guardian can be the same person.
- Debaters, Judges and Guardians (if not Judge) need to be present for the entire Debate Tournament. No late starts or leaving early, even for lunch!
- Late Payment Fee: $25 after payment deadline
- Really Late Payment Fee: $35 if paid at Check-In
- Administrative Fee: $10 for any payment follow-ups/corrections
Free participation for Park students
|Participation||Hired Judge||Registered/Requested by|
|Last Minute Rate||N/A||$400||6/1/18|
|Emergency Rate||N/A||$450||6/2 or 6/3/18|
- Why? An option for those that can’t fill the judging requirement.
- We have a limited number of Hired Judges.
- There is NO Guarantee that we will have extra judges to cover your judging requirement.
- Only the first 10 requests are guaranteed.
- Prerequisite: Please indicate your request on the registration form by Thursday, 5/31/18
- Cancel Hired Judge Request for a Full Refund by: Tuesday, 5/29/18
- Hired Judge cost NOT refundable after Tuesday, 5/29/18
Participation & Dropping Out
- Participation cost NOT refundable after Tuesday, 5/29/18
- Drop with a Full Refund by: Tuesday, 5/29/18
- Refunds will be processed within 14 days after the tournament.
- In case your child can’t participate after all, please inform the Tournament Director: Brier Buchalter and if applicable your child’s debate partner’s parents. It affects tournament planning on various levels (partnering debaters, preparing materials, pairing the first round, ordering trophies, etc.) – Thank you!
Tournament Debate Practice (optional & free)
- Opportunity for debaters to review and practice before the tournament.
- Prerequisite: Completed Tournament Registration
- When: Friday, 5/18/18 from 6:15 – 7:45 pm
Please see the Scholarships page for instructions on how to apply for a tournament scholarship!
- Tournament Director: Brier Buchalter (Speech & Debate Coach)
- Registration: Norina Biese
- Email: Tournaments@NorCalDebateLeague.org
- Phone: (408) 771-2904