- This event has passed.
2019 NCDL Tournament of Champions
June 1, 2019 @ 9:00 am - June 2, 2019 @ 5:30 pm
- Debate Events: Parliamentary Debate
- Three Divisions: Novice, JV, Varsity
- Who: 1st – 8th graders (Free participation for Park students)
- Where: GYM, Hillview Middle School, Menlo Park — Hillview confirmed!!
- When: Saturday, 6/1 & Sunday, 6/2/2019
- Sat 6/1: 9 am – 5 pm — All students will compete for 4 Preliminary rounds. Check In: 9 – 9:15 am
- Sun 6/2: 9 am – 5:30 pm — All students return to compete for an additional 2 Preliminary rounds followed by Speaker Awards. Then top teams from each division continue to compete in elimination championship rounds, which are followed by awards. Check In: 9 – 9:15 am
- Participation covers lunch, as well as some snacks and drinks for 2 on Saturday & Sunday. Food & drinks also available for sale (Cash Only): Baked Goods, Fruit, Snacks, Pizza, Onigiri, Samosas, BBQ (Hamburger / Hot Dogs), Cup Noodles, Mac & Cheese, Rice, Curry, Coffee & Assorted Drinks
Registration Deadline: Thursday, 5/30/2019
Already have an account? Login to Register
First Time? Request to Register
Debaters please read: Debater Information
Debaters Dress Code & What to Bring see: Debaters Preparation
Debaters practice with: Debate Steps & Tips Debate Terms Debate Topics
Judges please read: Judge Information
- Students need to have earned the required minimum TOC points (see Overview)
Check your record here
- Goal: Minimum points you need to get into the TOC.
- Earned: Total points you have earned. Bold numbers indicate having reached your goal = TOC qualification.
- Students must register by the deadline.
- No partner needed. We can help find one if option selected in the registration form.
- All fees must be paid by Check-In.
- Volunteer Requirement: Each Debater needs to have 1 adult that will volunteer to fill and complete 1 Spot/Task (or 2 if they count as 1/2 a task) on Sign-up.com for this tournament. This requirement is in addition to the judging requirement.
- Why? Our tournaments are parent-run and can only be successful with the help of volunteers.
- Judging Requirement: Each Debater needs to have 1 adult, who will be available to judge all rounds.
- Guardian Requirement: Each Debater needs to have 1 adult present, who will be responsible for them while at the tournament. The Guardian does not have to be a parent and except for “Hired Judges”, the Judge and Guardian can be the same person.
- Debaters, Judges and Guardians (if not Judge) need to be present for the entire Debate Tournament. No late starts or leaving early, even for lunch!
Click for: Deadlines, Discounts & Rates + Payment Options/Info
- Late Payment Fee: $25 after payment deadline
- Really Late Payment Fee: $35 if paid at Check-In
- Administrative Fee: $10 for any payment follow-ups/corrections
Free participation for Park student
Participation covers lunch, as well as some snacks and drinks for 2 on Saturday & Sunday.
|Participation||Hired Judge||Registered/Requested by|
|Last Minute Rate||N/A||$375||5/31/19|
- Why? An option for those that can’t fill the judging requirement.
- We have a limited number of Hired Judges.
- There is NO Guarantee that we will have extra judges to cover your judging requirement.
- Only the first 10 requests are guaranteed.
- No Refunds.
- Prerequisite: Please indicate your request on the registration form by Thursday, 5/30/19
Participation & Dropping Out
- No Refunds.
- In case your child can’t participate after all, please inform the Tournament Director: Brier Buchalter and if applicable your child’s debate partner’s parents. It affects tournament planning on various levels (partnering debaters, preparing materials, pairing the first round, ordering food, etc.) – Thank you!
Tournament Debate Practice (optional & free)
- Opportunity for debaters to review and practice before the tournament.
- Prerequisite: Completed Tournament Registration
- When: Friday, 5/31/19 from 6:15 – 7:45 pm
Please see the Scholarships page for instructions on how to apply for a tournament scholarship!
- Tournament Director: Brier Buchalter (Speech & Debate Coach)
- Registration: Norina Biese
- Email: Tournaments@NorCalDebateLeague.org
- Phone: (408) 771-2904