- This event has passed.
Encinal’s a-MAY-zing 1 Day
May 20, 2017 @ 8:30 am - 6:00 pm
- Encinal Elementary, 195 Encinal Ave, Atherton
- Debate Events: Parliamentary Debate
- Three Divisions:
- When: Saturday, May 20th, 2017
Check in starts @ 8:30 am in the large multi & Awards Ceremony at ca. 5 pm
All students will compete for 5 Preliminary rounds, followed by Best Speaker awards.
- We will have food & drink for sale (Cash Only): Baked Goods, Fruit, Snacks, Pizza, Sandwiches, Coffee & Assorted Drinks
- Students need PRIOR Speech & Debate experience or understand the format (Parliamentary Debate). (See FAQ)
- Students must register by the deadline.
- All fees must be paid by Saturday, 5/20 at Check-In.
- NEW – Volunteer Requirement: Each Debater needs to have 1 adult that will volunteer to fill and complete 1 Spot/Task on Sign-up.com for this tournament. This requirement is in addition to the judging requirement.
- Why? Our tournaments are parent-run and can only be successful with the help of volunteers.
- Judging Requirement: Each Debater needs to have 1 adult, who will be available to judge all rounds.
- Guardian Requirement: Each Debater needs to have 1 adult present, who will be responsible for them while at the tournament. The Guardian does not have to be a parent and except for “Hired Judges”, the Judge and Guardian can be the same person.
- Debaters, Judges and Guardians (if not Judge) need to be present for the entire Debate Tournament. No late starts or leaving early, even for lunch!
- Payments made by Check: Apply a $5 discount per student. Available only until Monday, 5/15/17
- Late Payment Fee: $25 if paid between Tue. 5/16 and Thu. 5/18 at 11:59 pm
- Really Late Payment Fee: $35 if paid between Fri. 5/19 and Sat. 5/20 at Check-In
- Administrative Fee: $10 for any payment follow-ups/corrections.
- Why? To help cover the cost of the tournament including the awards, supplies and use of facilities.
- First Timer
- $25 per First Timer if registered by: Thursday, 5/11/17 at 11:59 pm
- $40 per First Timer if registered between Fri. 5/12 and Sun. 5/14/17 at 11:59 pm
- Veteran Tournament Debater
- $40 per Veteran Tournament Debater if registered by: Thursday, 5/11/17 at 11:59 pm
- $60 per Veteran Tournament Debater if registered between Fri. 5/12 and Sun. 5/14/17 at 11:59 pm
- Registration fee NOT refundable after Thursday, 5/11/17
- Participation Fee due on: Monday, 5/15/17 at 11:59 pm
- Drop with a Full Refund by: Thursday, 5/11/17 at 11:59 pm
- Refunds will be processed within 14 days after the tournament.
- Please inform the Tournament Director: Brier Buchalter and if applicable your child’s debate partner’s parents, in case your child can’t participate after all. It affects tournament planning on various levels (partnering debaters, preparing materials, pairing the first round, ordering trophies, etc.) – Thank you!
- Why? An option for those that can’t fill the judging requirement.
- We have a limited number of Hired Judges.
- There is NO Guarantee that we will have extra judges to cover your judging requirement.
- Only the first 20 requests are guaranteed.
- Prerequisite: Please indicate your request on the registration form by Sunday, 5/14/17 at 11:59 pm
- Judges can NOT be hired on the day of the tournament!
- Hired Judges can NOT be Guardians!
- $110 per Student if hired by: Thursday, 5/11/17 at 11:59 pm
- $190 per Student if hired between Fri. 5/12 and Sun. 5/14/17 at 11:59 pm
- Hired Judge Fee due by: Monday, 5/15/17 at 11:59 pm
- Cancel Hired Judge Request for a Full Refund by: Thursday, 5/11/17 at 11:59 pm
- Requests made after Thursday, 5/11 are NOT refundable!
Optional & Free Debate Practice:
- Opportunity for debaters to review and practice before the tournament.
- Prerequisite: Completed Tournament Registration
- When: Friday, 5/19/17 from 6:15 – 8 pm
We are happy to offer up to Full scholarships helping with theRegistration Fee, Judging Requirement, Lunch, Needed Materials, Clothes
Our scholarships are 100% financial need based and handled confidentially.
We never, EVER turn away a debater to financial consideration. Please do not feel hesitant to request a scholarship through the registration form or by emailing us.
Once you join our scholarship pool we will continue to offer you scholarships in the future!
To get access to the funds for your scholarship we will need…
A copy of your last tax return
A copy of your current paycheck/income statement
OR a note from your school or similar agency
- Tournament Director: Brier Buchalter (Speech & Debate Coach)
- Registration: Norina Biese
- Email: Tournaments@NorCalDebateLeague.org
- Phone: (408) 771-2904